YOU WILL NEED:
1 to 1 and a half pounds of ground beef ( do not use extra lean type)
1/2 cup of Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs
I tablespoon of Minced garlic or 1 level teaspoon of dried garlic powder ( not garlic salt)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon of dried basil
I teaspoon of dried oregano 2 heaping tablespoons of dried parsley
A heavy bottomed or nonstick pot
I heaping teaspoon of Sugar ( this cuts the acidity of the sauce)
1. Mix all ingredients except water in a large mixing bowl
2. After thoroughly mixed add 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water and stir into the mixture. (This is the secret to a softer meatball. It moistens the bread crumbs sufficiently)
3. Form your meatballs
4. Place meatballs into your spaghetti sauce being sure meatballs are covered and heat is medium low. Setting number 4 on electric stove.
5. Cover with a slight opening to the lid. This can be achieved by placing a wooden spoon between pot and lid.
6. When sauce is boiling, uncover and turn meatballs, again being sure they are covered with sauce , add and stir in sugar and lower heat to 3 on electric stove.
7. Leaving pot lid off, simmer for about thirty minutes turning occasionally. If you notice sauce reducing too quickly you can again place the lid on pot with a wooden spoon, keeping it ajar slightly for five to ten minutes.
Please see my recipe for my Homemade sauce
Once you see how easy, flavorful and economical is is to make, I can almost guarantee you’ll never buy a jarred sauce again.