CHICKEN AND RICE YOU WILL NEED:
1 lb. boneless Boneless chicken ( cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 medium onion diced
1 can Goya pigeon peas (rinsed with water)
I tablespoon of minced garlic
Large pinch of saffron
Few pinches of Salt to taste
I small green, red and yellow sweet peppers diced . ( you can halve medium sized ones)
1 cup of white long grain rice rinsed with cold water and drain
2 cups of chicken broth ( can use from can but not low sodium one)
Olive oil Heavy bottomed pan with lid
1.Place olive oil enough to cover bottom of pan. Heat on high for a minute while rinsing rice and pigeon peas. Also called gandules.
2. Add saffron, few pinches of salt, onions and peppers and lower heat to medium.( Number six on electric stove)
3. Sauté onions and peppers for three minutes and stir frequently till onions start to look translucent
4. Add chicken and garlic and continue to stir every few seconds to cook outside of chicken.
5. Add your rinsed and drained Goya pigeon peas and rice and stir
6. When rice is well coated and yellow color, add two cups of College Inn chicken broth and turn heat to high. Then stir once after turning heat to high
7.When broth begins to boil, stir a few times so nothing is stuck to pan, COVER at once and turn heat to low. (number 3 on electric stove)
8. Set timer for twenty minutes. DO NOT REMOVE POT LID until after timer goes off.
9.Remove pan from heat and set aside.
VARIATIONS: You don’t need all three colored peppers. I just do that because it looks nice with different colors. You don’t have to use peppers if you don’t like peppers. It will still taste great. You do not have to vary water if omitting anything.