Due to the invention of garage door openers, I rarely use my front door.I have had it painted white since 1985 LOL. I wanted a bright cheery color for some time now. I did know that my welcome mat has been worn for some time now but did not have the means to replace it.
After painting my front door, my welcome mat not only looked worn, it was screaming, ” Help Me! ” . So, I decided to paint it. Yes, paint. It is a rubber mat, very thick and sturdy. So I took the exterior door paint and painted all the trim and designs that were raised and the flat surfaces I painted black as it originally was. Then I took craft paint and painted the flowers. Once dry, I coated it with three coats of clear spray paint that bonds to plastic so that it would protect the paint from rain and make it last longer.
The results? Well, I am very happy with how it turned out, MY FRONT DOOR is saying, “THANK YOU! ” and my WELCOME MAT is saying, ” WELCOME ” again. Hope that you’ll give this a try. It’s like a custom doormat and matches the door perfectly. Let me know what you think once pics are posted. 🙂
1. Use a coffee filter instead of paper towels to clean glass and mirrors. You will get a streak and lint free shine.
2. Sand the ends of your paintbrushes flat. You will now have the perfect dotting tool.
3. Bad odor in a small place? Place coffee in a filter or container and put into your small space. It will absorb the odor.
4. Have leftover soysauces, duck sauces etc from a takeout meal? Don’t discard. Place in ziplock bag or container and store in refrigerator. They’ll be neatly stored, out of the way and may be useful in a recipe.
5. Like to spray your home with scented sprays? Save money by spraying onto your A/C filter. It will distribute the fresh scent to your entire home at once .
6. Throw pillows getting a little flat? Pop in your dryer on air dry setting for a few minutes. They will be fluffy as new. If you use a dryer sheet they will smell fresh too.
7. Have too many small wallet sized photos? Buy a roll of magnetic strip and turn them into refrigerator magnets.
8. Love your lamps but have changed your decor colors? Get some craft paint and paint them. Spray with a clear spray paint to finish them off.
9. Move into a home with old switch plates? Save money and time searching at the store. Take them all off, wash and dry them and spray with white spray paint or whatever color you desire. They will hold up to cleaning for many years.
10. FOR ADULTS ONLY…. Want a new twist on your hot cocoa? Try adding a teaspoon of amaretto, romana sambvca, or your favorite liqueur .
I searched everywhere to find lawn ornament mushrooms for my fairy garden. There were none to be found so, I decided I would try to make some. In the ground they look real. I recently took out to repaint and took pic. They are five years old and have weathered many winters but still remain intact.
YOU WILL NEED:
Water to mix the mortar
A medium sized hollow rubber ball. This can be a dog toy or a child’s toy ball. It must be made of rubber or plastic and hollow inside.
Beige or off-white colored craft paint
Clear spray paint to spray after dry to protect from sun and rain
Water bottle caps
Dowel rod or 1/4 inch PVC piping
Old towel for propping your ball halves till dried. Takes about 36 hours to be fully dried.
Dap brand clear caulking . It is waterproof and unlike silicone, clears up easily. I prefer this as it stands up well in all weathers
1. Cut rubber ball exactly in half and set aside.
2. Roll your towel long ways and make a nest of sorts for both halves of balls to rest upright. You do not want the bottom of the ball to touch the surface as it will result in a flattening of the mushrooms top.
3. Mix a bit of mortar and fill balls 3/4 full and place in nests so that mortar is resting level.
4. After mortar has been sitting an hour or so, place a water bottle cap ( with top side of bottle cap facing down) into mortar.
5. After another hour or so, ( this is optional ) draw lines from center of cap toward outside edge of your mushroom. This will give the underside the appearance of a real mushroom.
6. Once dried thoroughly, 36-48 hrs, remove ball by peeling ball away from cement. The ball can be used to make more.
7. Paint your mushroom.
8. Cut PVC or dowel to desired length taking into account a few inches that will be stuck under ground , and paint.
9. Once dry, place dap caulking in center of bottle cap and insert dowel rod or 1/4 inch PVC pipe into glue in bottle cap.
10. Spray with clear spray paint and allow to dry overnight before placing in garden.
I am a beach person. I love the ocean and even more, I love collecting seashells. I have my master bathroom decorated in a beach theme. I have clear glass jars of seashells displayed on the windowsill and wanted a starfish for the wall. This is what I did. Hope you’ll give it a try! So easy! Takes just a few minutes.
YOU WILL NEED:
A Starfish ( or more if you want several) these can be purchased in Walmart or any craft store, individually or in a bag .
White paint OR no paint, leave natural
Glitter if you are painting and wish it to sparkle
Hot glue gun with glue sticks
White pipe cleaners or a wire ( when I run out of wire I have been known to use a Christmas tree ornament hanger for these small tasks).
Either leave natural or paint your starfish white and apply glitter. 2. Hot glue pipe cleaner to back center of starfish to hang on wall.
NOTE: There are some on a shelf in my guest bedroom that just rest against a book or other item.
Ever want just a different look? Tired of looking at the same home decor day after day? Do you have a wall of family photos with all different frames? Well, change it up a bit. This can easily be accomplished with very little expense to you. Here an idea I hope you will give a try before spending a lot of money or a day shopping to try to find the right sized frames.
Have you just re-painted but don’t like the way your photo frames look in contrast to you new paint color choice? PAINT THEM ! Here’s how.
YOU WILL NEED:
White or black paint (these colors usually look good on any colored wall) or the color of your choosing
Craft paint the color of your choice ( you can find at your local Walmart or craft store)
Matte or glossy clear spray paint ( optional
Something to protect your work area
A cardboard box ( package box,pizza box, whatever you have)
1. Remove all your cherished photos and glass from frames and set photos in a safe place where you can store safely for a few hours.
2. Fill sink with soap and water and wash and rinse both sides of your photo frame glass and set on towel to dry.
3. Cover the surface where you plan to paint your frames.
4. Paint sides of all frames only and set aside to dry.
5. When dried, paint the faces of your frames , taking care not to drip down sides of frames. If you are covering dark frames with a lighter color paint do two light coats rather than one heavy coat.
6. Once dried take the frames outside or in your garage with door opened.
7. Spread a cardboard box open onto the floor . Place frames onto it being sure Spray with a clear coat paint . Do not spray too much as this will cause dripping.
7. Be sure not to neglect the old photo inserts that came with your frame. You can use the paint color of your room to paint these, keep them as is if they are not damaged or worn , or reverse them so that they look fresher.
8. Now that your frames are completely dried, you can reinsert photos.
NOTE: When picking craft paint do not use glossy kind. It is less forgiving when you get a drip and not necessary since you will be clear coating . Clear coat spray paint makes them easier to wipe down if dusty and prevents paint from coming off. Please see my blog on GALLERY PERFECT PICTURE HANGING TIP.
Cute crafts for children. Children enjoy making things themselves. It should be a fun task for them.
YOU WILL NEED:
Clothespins with round tops
Small wooden balls with holes in bottom ( you can find packages of these in Hobby Lobby or Walmart , Michael’s, any craft place.
Small wooden circles to glue your doll to so that it can stand
Flesh colored paint
White, black, and grey paint. ( if you don’t have grey, add a drop of black to several drops of white and make your own)
Any other colors you’d like for your dolls lips (pink or red) and hair
Popsicle craft sticks for arms or you can substitute pink or tan colored pipe cleaners if you wish movable arms. Cut into thirds.
Fine tipped sharpie marker
Hot glue gun and low temp glue sticks
WARNING: DUE TO RISK OF SEVERE BURNS, PARENTS SHOULD NOT LET CHILDREN USE GLUE GUN.
Pruning shears in case you need to trim top of clothespin to fit in ball
Old fabric and lace scraps/ ribbon / gloves to make clothes for your doll.
Mug, glass or jar that you don’t mind getting paint on. It will wash off. If you choose plastic cup put a few pebbles inside so it will be less likely to tip over.
Toothpicks (to use to paint fine details on dolls face
Something to protect your work surface
1. Glue round wooden ball to clothespin. Sometimes head of round clothespin is difficult to fit into wooden ball. You can shave off piece of clothespin top by using pruning shears .( Mom or Dad do this part please)
2. Holding doll by just under the head, paint inside of dolls legs with flesh colored paint, lying it on its sides to dry.
3. Once dry, hold by top of clothespin, if you wish socks or shoes on your doll, and paint them on and place clothespin on side of mug to hold till dry.
4. With clothespin on mugs edge, paint head and top part of clothespin flesh colored all the way around.
5. When clothespins is totally dry draw face onto it with sharpie marker. If you want to, you can dip the handle of a small paint brush into white paint, making dots for eyes. When that dries, dot a black or brown or blue dot in center of white circle with a toothpick dipped into paint color of your choice. You may also , using a toothpick, paint lips pink or red.
(WHEN PUTTING ON THE FACE BE SURE TO HAVE THE LEGS FACING THE RIGHT WAY. )
6. Once dried, paint on hair color of your choice
7. Once clothespin is completely dry, take a pipe cleaner and twist it around the top part of the body of the clothespin and hot glue into place. Once dried, cut the desired length. If you bend the ends back on itself it looks more like hands. In my photo, you can see, one has Popsicle sticks for arms. The other pipe cleaners. Pipe cleaners are flexible so the arms can move. Also, in my photo you can see that the doll in red is what will happen if you don’t make sure legs are facing the right way. 🙂
8. Carefully hot glue fabric onto clothespin for clothes.
NOTE: Be creative. You can cut fingers of old worn gloves and roll it back on itself and put pompom on top and it’s a nice winter hat.
Simple little way to say I love you to the people we love. Can be placed on desk or wherever your loved one chooses to display. Children will love making for mom or dad, grandparents too. Can say I love you, you’re the best, best grandma, cool grandpa etc. Use your imagination. Due to children’s limited dexterity it would be easier to use a larger pebble or rock.
YOU WILL NEED:
Pebbles or rocks , paint colors of your choice., toothpicks,clear spray paint and paint brush
Wash pebbles or rocks
Paint entire pebble one color and let dry.
Dip the toothpick into paint and put your message. When finished allow to dry then spray with clear spray paint to preserve your rock.
I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. I do love Christmas. As most of us know, Christmas is a very busy, and depending on the size of your family, can be a quite costly time of year. This is why, any chance I get, I make things to give as gifts for Christmas to friends, family and co-workers. As you might imagine, I am wrapping Christmas gifts all year. Some of my friends laugh and say, ” You’re thinking of Christmas already? ”
However, when Christmas finally arrives, my expenses and workload are minimal because I have most of my homemade gifts already made. I recently decided to try my hand at rock painting. Wouldn’t you know it? After painting a few I thought, ” Oh, maybe I could make some for Christmas!”. So here are a few of my designs for Christmas Rocks. What would you do with them, you ask? I have no idea. But I’ll tell you what I plan to do with mine. Stocking stuffers that can be brought out and placed on a table or desk every year, refrigerator magnets, shelf decorations. You are limited only by your imagination. Most people love homemade gifts. This is one that can have people thinking of you each time they see it.
Larger rocks paperweight sized
Black craft paint or base color of your choice
White craft paint or color of your choice to write messages
Something to protect work surface
Clear spray paint
Hot glue gun or other glue
1.Wash rocks and let dry.
2.Paint entire rock black or color of your choice.
3. Once dry and completely painted, dip end of a toothpick into white paint and begin printing message. I have found that using a toothpick allows for better control of your printing on the rocks uneven surface.
4. Once message is complete, set paperweight aside to dry.
5. Spray all sides of your spiritual rock to make it water resistant so that if it gets wet, the paint will not rub off.
6.If you so desire, you may hot glue felt to bottom of rock to protect desk surface from scratching . If rock is smooth there usually is not a problem.
Inexpensive gift to give a friend, co-worker, pastor or someone you know who is going through a rough time.