This is a recipe she’s had for years and modified to add two or three Jalapeno peppers. It is unfortunate that she does not know, nor do I, who to give credit to for this amazing recipe. Makes about 80 puffs.
YOU WILL NEED :
10 ounces cheddar cheese
2 cups water
2 cups of flour
8 ounces unsalted butter
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
2-3 Jalepeno peppers seeded and ribs removed, diced very small
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grate cheese and set aside.
3. Melt butter with water, sugar, salt, and cayenne.
4. Once butter is completely melted with the water add the flour all at once.
5. Reduce heat and stir with a wooden spoon constantly for 1 minute.
6. Pour into mixing bowl and mix with paddle attachment for 1 minute on medium low to cool the mixture.
7. Increase speed to medium and add eggs one at a time , making sure each one is incorporated before adding the next.
8. Fold in grated cheese and Jalapeños.
9. Drop with a small ice cream scoop (or you can use two spoons) onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
10. Sprinkle with paprika.
11. Bake for 11 minutes.
12. Turn the pan and bake for 11 more minutes.
NOTE : Serve warm. This recipe is easily halved and once cooled, leftover puffs can be frozen.