Diaper cakes are quickly becoming all the rage at baby showers. And rightfully so. They are very cute, can be used as gift table centerpiece and are chock full of goodies for baby. When I make my diaper cakes I try not to use all newborn diapers,as the mom-to-be typically gets loads of diapers as gifts and babies grow quickly. Below is how I make my diaper cakes. As far as toys go,I save McDonald’s Happy Meal Care Bears and other soft toys just for this purpose. They are the perfect size.
YOU WILL NEED:
1. 36 newborn diapers
2. 36 next sized diapers
3. Cardboard cake board ( sold at Walmart and at times in dollar store)
4. One Empty paper towel or aluminum foil roll. ( I find aluminum foil roll or plastic wrap roll is sturdier)
5. Two receiving blankets or one baby bath towel
6. 3 yards of baby ribbon ( Can use solid color or baby print)
7. Masking or duct tape ( to tape the empty roll to the center of the cake board for stability)
8. 2 yards of 1/8 inch elastic to hold the diapers in place. You will cover the elastic with the ribbon.
9. Multiple baby items that can attach to ribbon .Things such as barrettes, baby feeding spoons, pacifiers, baby diaper pins etc.
10. Larger baby toy like small stuffed animal or rattle to put at top of the cake
11.Rubber-bands – only three are needed but have more in case you snap one accidentally.
12. Artificial flowers (optional) from the dollar store that match your color scheme.
1. Place about a six inch piece of tape, two or three inches inside empty towel roll. Attach the rest to the cake board. Then tear off three more pieces and place on outside of paper towel roll to secure to the base of cake board.
2. Wrap both receiving blankets or one bath towel around the towel roll and secure in place on bottom middle and top with rubber-bands. Be sure to fold appropriately so that the blanket is even with the top of paper towel roll.
3. Now it gets interesting. Fold each of the larger sized diapers in half. With folded part facing as outside of the cake, stand on its side and stack side by side around the cake. When it gets to the point where they are starting to fall over, it is time to place and tie a piece of elastic loosely around the diapers to hold in place for you. Then fill till they are snugly together and fill the circle of the cake board.
4. Fold all smaller diapers in same way and place on top of the bottom layer, Forming a second tier to the diaper cake. Attach elastic around this tier as well. Stick any ends of elastic in between diapers to conceal them.
5. Attach ribbon around both tiers to conceal the elastic.
6. If you are giving to a girl attach barrettes evenly around ribbons as a design.
7. If you have purchased flowers, cut stems with scissors to the right height and stick flowers in between diapers taking care not to poke hole in diapers. I find it easier to roll a piece e of tape around wired stem to avoid sharp edges.
8. At top of cake is where you would attach toy , if paper towel is above top layer of diaper cake you can do one of two things: A. Tie toys around the top with elastic to conceal the towel and then apply ribbon with a pretty bow that drapes down front of cake OR B. roll blanket or towel off the tube and cut tube to same height as the top of the cake. Then gently roll the receiving blankets or towel inwards and put a bigger flower inside as cake topper. Because the stems are made with wire I would roll a piece of tape around bottom of stem to avoid poking hole in blanket or towel. Everyone will love your creation!
APOLOGIES FOR NO PHOTO YET. SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION.