I don’t care for pears so I really don’t care for canned or jarred fruit cocktail. I do love fruit though, so when the children were small I decided to invent my own fruit cocktail so they wouldn’t have to eat pears either. Now that I’m older, I realize that just because I don’t like something didn’t mean they wouldn’t have. However, I think mine tastes better. You be the judge. It’s a literal ” Dump it all in” easy recipe. Perfect for barbecues and days you have no desserts in the house or just feel like some fruit. Aside from slicing the peach slices into thirds and the maraschino cherries in half there’s really nothing else to do. Of course if you like pears you can throw a can in. 🙂
YOU WILL NEED:
1 -16 oz. can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup ( I do cut each into thirds so they are easy to eat with a spoon)
1-20 oz can of pineapple chunks (Packed in pineapple juice)
1-10 oz. jar of maraschino cherries. Cut cherries in half and add to bowl.
Add about 20-25 seedless green or red grapes or both
1-15 oz can or jar of mandarin oranges
1. Place all juice from peaches into a large bowl
2. Cut peach slices in thirds or fourths and add to bowl.
3. Put entire can of pineapple chunks into bowl .
4. Add as many grapes as you want. Usually 20-25 is good. You don’t really need to count them. Use the smaller ones of the bunch or can cut big ones in half.
5. Take cherries out of their juice. Cut cherries in half and put in bowl. If you don’t mind red fruit cocktail you can put that juice in there too.
6. Put entire can of mandarin oranges in and stir.
7. Chill well and serve.
VARIATIONS: I have add diced bananas , melon or cantaloupe cubes if I have these in the house and they are getting overly ripened. If you choose to make this for a party , skip the bananas. Many children are allergic to bananas. And of course, those of you who like pears can dump a can of pears in the mix. Whatever you have, really, if you like it, by all means, add it. Enjoy!