photo to be downloaded soon
1.SMALL CLAY FLOWER POTS
2. WHITE ACRYLIC CRAFT PAINT (glossy or flat your choice)
3. RED ACRYLIC CRAFT PAINT (or what color you wish your scarf to be but remember, you will need red for reindeer tongue if you choose to have open mouthed smile).
4. BLACK ACRYLIC CRAFT PAINT (for eyes )
5. TAN OR LIGHT BROWN ACRYLIC PAINT
6. SMALL PAINT BRUSH ( I used 1/4 inch angular shader brush)
7. LARGER HANDLED PAINT BRUSH (to make eyes) OPTIONAL
8. TOOTHPICK OR WOODEN SKEWER ( for eyebrows and dotting eyes)
9. GLUE GUN AND GLUE STICKS ( you can use regular household glue but I find it messy and takes longer to dry. ) CHILDREN SHOULD NOT USE HOT GLUE TO AVOID BURNS. 10. POM POMS ( the color of your choice for ear muffs)
11. PIPECLEANERS the color of your ear muff Pom Poms. (May use black if you don’t have ones the same color )
12. RED OR BLACK POM POM (for reindeer nose)
13. DARK BROWN PIPECLEANERS (for reindeer antlers.
14. PAPER OR OLD PLASTIC LID (for putting paint on)
15. GOOGLE EYES (optional)
1. Take clean clay flower pot and paint tan or brown on top and sides to the rim of flower pot. Do not worry if you get some on the rim as you will be painting that a different color.( I personally prefer a lighter shade of brown so that reindeer antlers are a better contrast)
2. After you are satisfied with the coverage of the coats of tan paint, let dry.
3. Begin painting the scarf color on the rim .(I found it easier to hold my other hand inside flower pot and turn as I painted). Paint till you have the coverage that you like .
4. Turn the flower pot upside down and set down as you would a normal flower pot, so you can paint the very edge of the rim with the scarf color and let dry.
5. Put a little white paint on a piece of paper or old plastic lid and dot the back of small paintbrush handle into paint then dot scarf all the way around . If you want scarf to have hearts rather than dots, you put two dots side by side and pull down with brush handle to connect dots at bottom to form hearts. Set pot aside to let dry thoroughly.( If you are not sure you can evenly space, start with entire front first then sides. This will ensure any uneven spacing will be in the back and not visible.)
6. Once it has completely dried, if you are not using google eyes, put small amount of black paint onto paper or old plastic lid and take back of small brush handle and dip into black paint to dot eyes. Then in a circular motion you draw eyes the circular size you wish them to be OR use larger handled brush to make dots for eyes.
(It helps to tap onto paper or lid (one time only) if you have too much paint on handles end. It will make perfect circles. Let eyes dry, lying flower pot on its side flat. I achieved this by resting into an old crumpled towel to keep pot straight and avoid eyes from dripping.)
7. Once eyes are dry , dip end of small paint brush into black paint and mark
where smile will end on each side. Then make a semicircle smile or make an open mouth to show tongue and/ or teeth. Let dry completely resting again on towel to keep straight while drying.
8. Paint nose red or black if you have no pompoms. (Pom poms look nicer though because they give dimension to your reindeer.)
9. Once eyes are completely dry, if you have not opted to use google eyes, dip pointy end of toothpick into white paint place dot or apostrophe shape ( ‘) into eye in same place on each eye to mimic shine. Let dry.
10. Dip pointy end of skewer into black paint n draw eyebrows. Again, place onto towel to keep straight till dry.
11. Then take toothpick, dip into red paint and make tongue inside open mouth if you chose to have open mouth reindeer smile. Once that has been laid flat to dry, you can then add teeth if you so desire.
12. Insert 2 dark brown pipecleaners into hole of pot and bend inside of pot. Then pot some hot glue on end of skewer to place under bent pipecleaners so they may stick to pot. Bend antlers as desired.
13. Hot glue ear muff colored pipecleaner across top of flower pot hole and down side to where your Pom Pom earmuffs will be.
14. Hot glue ear muffs where they should be.
15. Hot glue google eyes in place. I found it easier and less messy to put tiny glue dot or tiny dab of hot glue on back of google eye and place onto pot. Remember, just tiny amount so that when you press google eye into place, no glue will be seeping out from around eyes .
You can personalize reindeer by dipping skewer into black paint and putting name or greeting across front of scarf.
Have a blessed day!